First thing first, this is NOT a script to trick Valve's server list into thinking you have real players playing on your server... I will NOT attempt to try to get around that, so please do not ask. Anybody who asks me to try to do this will be ignored!!!
Okay, now that is over with, lets get on with what this mod actually does... I'll go through the process order:
- Reads a config file, and updates the new bot_profile.db if the config has changed... (Be sure to keep a backup of your normal bot_profile.db in case you want to change back)!
- If the bots profile has changed, it will restart the current map so the bots can load
- It will load the current map, and add X amount of bots into the server with their names (X is configurable within the config.cfg)
- If botPing is enabled, it will give all bots a random ping which you define and begin to update them every X seconds which you also define
- If botChat is on, bots will say a random text upon an event (see bot_speech.ini)
- If players activate/disconnect, bots will disconnect or join respectively to keep at least X amount of players in the game
I created this mainly to keep bots playing at low server times, and to give a more realistic effect to playing the game. It allows for people who join the server to have a better gameplay effect, and it allows you to individually customize each bot, either have some hard and some easy, all weapons customizable etc etc...
This script is an easy way to edit and manage all your bots! It's a must have for servers which currently run bots.
Note: Although I scripted this on my own, the bot_ping idea is stolen from rideguy's BotPing script, and the bot talk from ace_botchat (or something like that). They deserver some credit. Also SuperDave made an improvement on a small method which updated the pings.
Hope you enjoy
Note: This DOES support TF2, but it requires the Orange Box beta which can be found here
Note #2: This was only tested on CSS, so other games may not work so well, but please reply with your bugs and I will try and fix A.S.A.P.